Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Southern Toads are Breeding



Today around the ponds at the Clemson Sandhill Research and Education Center (where the Children's Garden is located) dozens of Southern Toads are calling. The call is a high-pitched trill that lasts for several seconds. The males have a vocal sac that inflates as they call making the noise louder. The males are calling for females. Once a female finds him, they mate as the female lays long strings of jelly-like eggs. You can probably find some eggs if you look closely among the lily pads on the edge of the water.

2 comments:

  1. I hope to make it down there to see this soon. Are the toads still mating? How soon until the eggs should hatch?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a nice post! I love animals and I'm planning to start breeding different kinds of animals but due of lots of requirements, it's hard for me to start my own sanctuary.


    contact lens columbia sc

    ReplyDelete